Friday, October 3

The Great Escape

Twice a year I escape my family and spend the weekend away. I am ecstatic to report that THIS WEEKEND is one of those weekends! You see, every January I have an annual "Girls Weekend" with my college friends, a tradition that is going on it's twelfth year. But about three years ago we began a sister/cousin weekend in New Hampshire at the lake. This consists of me and my three cousins, and this year we have added Caitlen, my brothers girlfriend, to the group. (Welcome Caitlen). Last weekend the boys had their turn, and they spent two straight days having fires, drinking beer and eating red meat. Dennis came home in exactly the same clothes he left in on Friday afternoon, his bag unopened, smelling like fire, meat and B.O. Lovely! Our girls weekend is a little different. We will eat of course, there will be wine and other delicious alcoholic beverages consumed, and some shopping. We will attempt a fire, although in years past we have had varying degrees of success in this endeavor. Unlike the men who rarely if ever left the campground, we will go out to eat, where others will wait on us and there will not be crayons anywhere on the table. We will shop with no one tugging on our arm to leave. We will be making no mad dashes to the nearest restroom or stooping down to tie anyone's shoe. In fact, there will be no stooping the entire weekend. Oh joy, I am excited. Off to pack!

3 comments:

Karen said...

That sounds like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I demand on the part of sister-in-laws everywhere to be included in this event! LOL Have fun Kirsten...
Amy

Pam said...

How was it??? I had a GW myself last weekend, and it was SO nice. I felt a little lost at times, like I left something behind, oh wait....that was my KIDS!!! It was SO NICE, no diapers, no cutting up food, no WORK....just me, the beach, some friends and wine.....YUM, wine.