Tuesday, October 28

Driving Blind

My kids really do expect me to be a superhero. They cannot grasp the concept that I cannot do all of the things for them that they want, WHILE DRIVING. What? I can't fix a sandwich, read a book, play a game involving covering my eyes with both hands while driving? What is wrong with me? Jack now seems to have grasped this concept more, being a wise 6 year old, he can now understand that I actually have to pay attention and keep both hands on the wheel. Abbey on the other hand, cannot understand why I can't just drive with my knees, freeing up my hands to say, color a picture for her. She is also always inventing made-up games for us to play in the car. Games with names like Boobidy Ooogly Hands, or Scarey Tree a' Clap. Most of the time I can hardly hear her. Since we got the mini-van she is situated all the way in the back, and for some reason when she really wants us to hear her, her voice gets super, super quiet like a mouse and keeps getting softer until she is barely whispering. Then she yells "Mommy, do it!" and I am so confused. Do what? Did I miss something? Her games always have rules and instructions that seem to change second by second, making it hard for us to play with her "correctly" since no one can keep track of exactly what we are doing. Or she decides we should have a sing-a-long to a song she is making up on the spot, yelling at us that we ARE NOT doing it right, that we don't know the words. She gets frustrated and upset, "no, not that way", "can't you hear me" (ummm, no), "those aren't the right words", or "that's not what I want!" So it goes, frustrating in the van as we plod along. By this time Jack has usually turned on his Gameboy and I have turned up the radio, happy that she is all the way in the back!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Maybe I need a mini-van so that my kids can be further away....

Anonymous said...

me too