Thursday, June 25

Schools Over!

Yesterday was Jack's last day of school. Finally, it feels like summer is here. It helped a lot that today the rain stopped and the sun came out for the first time in about 12 days. Although summer will be great, I'm sure of it, the kids really need to put on their LISTENING EARS if we have any chance of getting through this summer without me becoming a screaming banshee. I brought them both to the grocery store this afternoon, something that I haven't had to do in forever. Usually its just me and Abbey and everything is smooth and calm and peaceful. Not so today. Jack insisted on pushing the cart while Abbey sat in the front and smacked him in the head with a package of paper towels. He would randomly speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down. So nerve wracking. I kept waiting for him to take out some old lady. But we managed to get through and I know that I have a lot of sibling love to look forward to over the next 10 weeks.

As usual, the last day of school also arrived with an AVALANCHE of paperwork brought home. I am frightened to think how much I'm going to have when they are both in school together. I might have to rent a storage space for the worksheets alone!

On a sad note, the world lost both Farrah Fawcett and Micheal Jackson today. While Farrah's death was sad, it was expected and came after such a long hard battle with the big C. Not so with the King of Pop. Unbelievable. Jack said to me "I thought only old people had heart attacks?" How do you explain to a 7 year old that your heart can give out no matter what your age? Also how do you explain to a 7 year old how a boy who was born black got so light skinned over the years, a point that was made quite obvious during the many photo montage's on the screen?

When I learned the news of Jackson's death I was standing in my kitchen making dinner. Ironically, I was standing in the exact same spot doing the exact same thing when I learned that Heath Ledger had passed away from an accidental drug overdose. The lesson here? I spend too much damn time in the kitchen.

1 comment:

Lindy said...

I can't let anyone but myself or my husband push the cart. It. drives. me. crazy.

And I always, ALWAYS, get the cart with the effed up wheel.