Wednesday, September 30

Storyland, Revisited

Some of you may remember that last year was our first annual trip to Storyland with all of my friends from college. If you feel so inclined you can read all about it here. Well, this last weekend was our second annual trip and the kids loved it just as much as last year, it held all the same magic. The Old Lady In The Shoe, The 3 Little Pigs, hanging out in the pumpkin and watching the dancing elf inside of the magic tree were just as exciting as before. The only downside's of the trip was that it was a 3 1/2 hour drive, and Dennis couldn't make it. My friend Pam and I rode together (due to a work issue she was also husband-less) so that helped. Dennis was sorely missed, but the weekend happened to coincide with his yearly boy's weekend at the trailer (much like my cousin/sister weekend of last). If I had asked he would have skipped it to ride in a whirling turtle and stand in line for 30 minutes to ride in an antique car, but I didn't ask him. After all, I have not 1 but 2 weekends a year away, so he does deserve his 1. All of my other friends were there and we banded together to keep an eye on all of the kids (13 in all!) and we had a great time. I must admit that 13 kids made for seriously not very controlled chaos, and damn! those kids get up E.A.R.L.Y. Sometimes on the weekends my kids will sleep until 9, which I realize is most unusual. But to start getting up at 5:57! 5:57 a.m.! Insanity! Jack said to me "what time is it?" and when I told him it was only about 6:15 in the morning he replied "These kids are crazy! What are they doing up at this hour?" Abbey simply grunted, dug deeper into her blanket and announced that we should all just go back to sleep. Sure, easier said than done. It sounded like a preschool downstairs by 6:30 a.m. and there was no more sleeping to be had (even though the adults had been up until 1 a.m. or so, ummm, talking). In all I ended the weekend exhausted, my face broken out from the foreign water, and fighting a nasty cold. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. Seeing everyone again is like traveling back 15 years in time, except now we look around and say to each other "where the hell did all these kids come from?"

7 comments:

Lindy said...

lol...my husband and I say that nightly..."where the hell did all these kids come from!"

I wish we lived close enough to go to Storyland, it looks really neat!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME post. So nice you all remain close after all these years.
Carol B.
Hope you feel better soon.

Erin said...

Looking forward to next year...I wonder how many kids there will be then? Hummmm I hope we have a few more husbands too, we'll have to plan better. Love those picture by the way!

Unknown said...

I'm bringing the Children's Benadryl!!!

Kirsten said...

And lets not forget the vaseline!

Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

This post was awesome! Thank you Kirsten for picking me & the boys up, it definitely made the ride a LOT better....though I still cannot belive not a single nap occurred, either way!!!

StoryLand was great! D is already asking how many days til next year.